Purpose: To explore the relevance of “Bling” and its impact on society and you
- Define “Bling” (Wikipedia gives a historical and in-depth definition of this)
- How are you seen/how do you view yourself and others who do/do not possess “Bling”
- What message is the poster trying to convey, what does it say to you
- Should materialism and wealth be used as a way of gauging people’s worth? If you possess less does that make you “Worth Less?”
- Where do the precious metals and stones come from to produce “Bling”. (Angola, Congo, Liberia, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Zimbabwe) to name a few
- What’s it like in these countries and what’s it like for the workers who have to mine the metals and stones? (War, poverty is this modern day slavery)
- Are we in the West (Europe, America and other English speaking Countries) mentally enslaved, thinking we are better than some because of what we own?
“What is truly precious”? Family, Friends, Relationships, Memories, life?
Some people feel the more they earn/possess the more they are worth/respected, does this then lead them to turn to illegal methods of earning (as the next 2 posters may suggest).